Order of St John
The Order of St John is an Order of Chivalry of the British Crown. With origins dating back to the 11th century, the modern Order can trace its roots to the first half of the 19th century, and was constituted as a Royal Order of Chivalry by Queen Victoria in 1888.
The Order has a presence in more than 40 countries around the world, and delivers its charitable activities through national St John organisations, including St John Scotland in Scotland, St John Ambulance in England, and many others across the world.
Individuals who have contributed to the charitable work of a St John organisation may be invited to join the Order of St John in recognition of their service. Their commitment and contribution is acknowledged by titles conferred by Her Majesty the Queen, the Order’s Sovereign Head.
The Priory of Scotland of the Order of St John
Priory Executive Officers
- Prior: The Duchess of Argyll DStJ
- Chancellor and Registrar: Simon Mackintosh OStJ MA LLB WS
- Receiver-General: Allan Stewart KStJ CA
- Hospitaller: John Ferguson-Smith KStJ MB ChB DObstRCOG AFOM
- Dean: The Reverend Neil Gardner OStJ MA BD
- Preceptor of Torphichen: Ian W J Wallace KStJ BSc MB ChB FRCS
- Librarian: Duncan McAra CStJ Dip Pub FSAScot
- Limner: Mark Dennis OStJ BA LLM
- Genealogist: George Way of Plean OStJ LLB (Hons) FRSA FSAScot SSC NP
Priory Ceremonial Officers
- Director of Ceremonies: James A Bingham KStJ FSAScot
- Assistant Directors of Ceremonies: Ian Robertson CStJ and Andrew I Smith OStJ
- Cross Bearer: Joseph Mackie OBE KStJ
- Banner Bearer: David L McLean OStJ FSAScot
- Sword Bearer: G Findlay Macrae CStJ MIMM MILOG